Friday, June 19, 2009

On...Becoming a Woman

Today, I realized that I am incredible!
Spending the past few years completing school, establishing a career and recently becoming single, I thought about the number of times I've read off my credentials to instituitons, employers and prospective companions. Today I overheard myself rambling off my accomplishments, status, etc... and thought to myself, is this really me? Did I do all of those things? Outside of my accomplishments I find myself grounded in a place where I know who I am, what I stand for, where I am in this moment, where I want to be in the next. That's a phenomenal feeling. Today, I realized that I am in love with the woman I've become.

While a work in progress the journey is one I now take with full strides forward instead of baby steps forward, with an agressive and positive energy that's guided by God. A journey that has me searching for what makes my heart smile, heart beat rapidly and mind filled with clarity.

After years of working with non-profits I learned the significance of developing mission statements. A mission statement is definied as a brief written statement of the purpose of a company or organization. Ideally, a mission statement guides the actions of the organization, spells out its overall goal, provides a sense of direction, and guides decision making for all levels of management.

At this juncture in my life, I've decided to write a mission statement for my life to provide me with a sense of direction and overall goal and guide my decision making. Now, mission statements go through numerous drafts before one is created that captures and reflects the organization or in this case the persons' purpose.

Draft:
Tanisha Pleasant,
Ambitous woman whose purpose is to lead a life driven by passion and integrity for my family, business ventures and community. Everything I do will be done with positive energy, must make me happy and followed through to completion. I will practice love, loyalty and patience to with my family. I will create a life for myself where I control my finances and career. I will devote time and resources to my community.

No comments:

Post a Comment