While Erykah was referring to love in her "Next Lifetime" song, whenever I hear those lyrics I think of a fresh minded young woman ten years ago, that had never heard of impossible. Now when I look back on the things I've accomplished, by God's grace of course, I'm smittened by my tenatiousness and determiniation.
As we get older our dreams become few and far in between. We stand in our own way, debating why it couldn't work rather than figuring out what will make it work. There's nothing sweeter than seeing someone accomplish their dreams, it makes my heart smile, because I know what it feels like.
Now years later, we find ourselves stuck in the monotony of complacency and contenment and living to work and working to eat, but not living to...well, LIVE. What's life without dreams, something to aspire to? I'm intrigued watching friends and family clamour and stress over their careers and finiding jobs, when the reality is, once you find it, is it really what you want to be doing, what you're supposed to be doing? A dream does not have to neccesarily be tied to your career, but nowadays society is so wrapped up in money that it often goes hand and hand.
A dream can be taking off for a year and traveling the world...starting your own business doing something you absolutuely love no matter how silly it may be...pursuing a professional sport or acting or dancing...the sweet things about dreams are that they can be anything you want them to be.
Sometimes I lye awake at night, trying to remember when exactly I stopped dreaming. Maybe it was somewhere between working full time and pursuing my masters degree or searching for my ideal job...or digging my way out of debt, or being so caught up in just trying to get by.
As I watch the email icon pop up on my computer at work and take this call that's coming through and contemplate on whether or not I can make it through one more day of work, I can say that by taking these 5 minutes out of my day to write this, I'm that much more closer to realizing my dreams, whatever they may be. They say speaking things into existence is the best way to seeing them through to coming true. My dreams include: Having a full-time work from anywhere in the world career, spending a quarter or the year in different parts of the world, doing something in philanthropy that helps women and girls realize their worth, becoming a business women, and sharing all of this with the man of my dreams and children (all God Willing)
Sweet dreams people.
~T
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment