Tuesday night out with the girls was fabulous! Some Sangria's, great food and disturbing conversation. More often than not when my and my girls get together we rant on and on about the men in our lives or men in general, relationships and anything else that has to with the opposite sex. While my purpose of the night was to indulge in some "liquid deliciousness" to de-stress, I too fell into a deep fixation on trying to figure this relationship thing out. In 3 hours we covered everything from past loves to current loves to future loves, leaving nothing behind. As I took a second from our engaging dialogue, which I felt was garnering a little too much attention with our bursts of laughter, dramatic hand gestures and thoughtful reactions to one another, I looked around the room to find 6 other tables of women who seemed to be enthralled in similar conversations. At the moment the energy and the vibe in the room grew heavy and dreary! Why were we all spending a beautiful night out amongst friends talking about men!!!!
When I went home that night, I thought about all of the topics that could been covered at our table as well as those of my fellow single women....business ventures, investments, fashion, current events. Why did we all spend so much time reliving our past relationships? and our pessimism about future ones. I thought to myself, if we spent as much time talking about business that we did on relationships we'd be rich!
We live in the day in age where more young professional women are finding more value in nurturing a family than a career. While we all have moved through the ranks of higher education, Corporate America and have indulged ourselves in philanthropy, we've come to a point where other things start to become more important to us. One of the problems is that there are too many of us that are ready and not enough men to go around that are on the same page. So many of us wander around in limbo going about life feeling like we have no control over what's next in our lives.
I have to admit that I'm guilty of it as well, but I am sick of all of my conversation with my girl friends being centered on relationships and men. Most of which is never good news. While I spend my day reserving my energy for business ideas, searching for second jobs, thinking about where my next vacation will be, that's all wasted with a 5 minute conversation with a friend with the moral of the story ending in N.A.S...Talk about an energy drainer.
My message to women in guess what men talk about when they're not around us....not us! Women we spend too much time focusing on other people, and not enough time on ourselves. We look for validation in our relationships that we don't even know how to validate ourselves or each other. Guess what, while you're wrecking your brain thinking about how to jump start your business idea or how you can improve on some kind of operation at work and about that new PhD program you were thinking about, your girl that you spent 3 hours on the phone with last night complaining about "Jethro" just started her own business, has some connections with some investors and just enrolled in a PhD program last fall...
All I'm saying is there is life outside of a man! What about you? and what you want. Stop worrying about why he won't commit, how about worrying about how you can commit to that project you started a year ago. Stop worrying about when you're going to get married, worry about when you're going to get discovered...Women has so much power, we need to focus our energy on that and NOT on trying to figure out how to get to Venus!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I like this and its very true. of all the topics we cover-men and relationships seem to be at the forefront of every conversation. I took a long break from dating and I realized of a lot of things about myself. Example- I noticed that in the past I would fill empty space in my day with conversations with men (who I am not interested in) because I am bored. I could have read a book, the Bible, or washed dishes instead. I've worked on that.
ReplyDeleteSo true! what I've been working on is simply not wasting my time...we wouldn't waste our time working a job that didn't fulfill us financially or professionally. Or on a project that we weren't interested in. I'm sure lots of us come across men that we're not really feeling, but we talk to them anyway just to have something to do. But my sentiment is, what is that doing for you? Why not leave the space for things and people in your life that are fulfilling and mean something to you than wasting it on empty conversations...
ReplyDeleteThis is a great subject! On the serious side, I think you're absolutely right. We waste too much time on NOTHING(i.e. No Good Men, Facebook, Ybf..etc.). Ultimately, I believe women spend too much time trying to figure out what will make someone else happy. We tend to think that making ourselves happy and putting ourselves first is selfish. For me, it's so hard to find my passion. I ask myself at least twice a week 'What are you passionate about?' Sometimes I'll have a response, but most of the time I don't. That lets me know that I'm still learning and trying to learn things about myself. In the meantime, I'm going through the motions.
ReplyDeleteOn the lighter side, talking about men is fun! It's like a hobby sometimes. Women get together to trade war stories and war wounds. Could you imagine how heavy girls nite would be without a little "Man" chat.
At your next girls nite, have at least two designated topics to discuss because if there is any dead air.....CRAIG AND NEM will be the next topic!
Ha! Nina you're right. I guarantee you that there's no such thing as a girls night out w/o talking about Craig and nem! lol
ReplyDeleteI agree on the passion thing. I remember way back in elementary school being passionate about things. Back then it was making the cheerleading squad and writing. I worked so hard at both and became great at both. In HS is was cheerleading and yearbook and newspaper. Then college dance was my life! I even wanted to pursue it professionally after college, but then reality kicked in and I realized I need to get a real job.
What's sad for me right now, is when I asked myself that questions - What am I passionate about...I don't have an answer, not one idea! What do you do with that. I guess re-discovering your passion starts with doing things that you like to do or enjoy, hell I'm not sure if I even know what that is either.
So for me it's baby steps. I started this blog to get back to writing more, hey maybe this will inspire me to write a book! I think a lot of times too we are often afraid to share with others what our passions are for fear of being judged. Hell, I'd love to write a book one day, why not. I'd also love to become a health buff, get healthy and perhaps get certified as a personal trainer, and I've always seen myself as a businesswoman, I get excited about creating some thing new, negotiating and strategizing. So there you have it, discovering your passion starts with saying it out loud!
My life is all about getting money. Men are cool and great as a support system but God did not intend on us expending all of our energy consumed by them or thoughts of them. Men are here as PARTNERS not burdens and this is where women tend to fall short. We complain about giving them EVERYTHING and then wonder why we end up with NOTHING!
ReplyDeleteIm good. Im planning for my future with hopes that it will be in a family of my own. Until then, focus is me and making sure my current family (mom, dad, sister etc) is taken care of.
First things, First!
Love it Chaya. That's why you're my friend!lol
ReplyDeleteAgreed totally. I think one of the key things you mentioned is a partnership. I don't think ive ever been in a situation where I've considered myself or been considered as a partner and that's a problem. We should all surround ourself with like-minded individuals who have some of the same goals and ambitions as we do. That's how we choose our "girl" friends, it should be the same for our "guy" friends. The only person that should be receiving your EVERYTHING is YOU and GOD.
hmm all of this has given me an idea...
You know what girls, now that I think about it. I do sort of have an idea of what my passion is. And I say "sort of" because I'm still not sure if it's my heart leading me or the fact that I think I should be doing this certain thing because of all of my school work and degrees in this subject. The funny thing is, I'm not sure I'll make any money doing it! So Chaya, I feel you completely. Money is my motivation. (That's why I change jobs every 2 years..lol)
ReplyDeleteI guess the question is, if you won a couple million dollars today and didn't have to work to survive, what would you be doing?
Exactly Nina, I don't think all of the money in the world would fulfill anyone. If you're not doing something you love you will never be satisfied!
ReplyDeleteAs far as jobs go,for most of us they have to be good enough so that we can actually get out of the bed in the morning, that's enough for most of us. But to not even know what we're passionated about is sad...
I looked up the definition of passion: it is an intense emotion compelling feeling, enthusiasm, or desire for something. The term is also often applied to a lively or eager interest in or admiration for a proposal, cause, or activity or love.